Thursday, November 19, 2009

Berkeley Hills, 94708


I had the epiphany the other day about moving to the West Coast; it wasn't as hard as I thought.  Still, the three hour time difference to New York is sometimes inconvenient when I have the urge to call someone and the fact that four different seasons occur in a day makes dressing tricky if I don't pay attention to what time it is.  Yet, I did it.

I think I put moving up with New Year's Eve and turning 30 (again and again).  Things would monumentally change at this milestone of unprecedented import.  Or not.  It's all relative.  I'm still unemployed so that can delay reality sinking in but as we get older, we grow farther apart.  Literally and figuratively.  Stuff gets in the way.  I'm certain if one of the brat pack from Friends left New York, that would the equivalent of the character getting killed off.  And isn't it funny how the series ended when they got married and started having kids?

I've discovered Berkeley to be a very accurate caricature of itself.  A Prius in every driveway, active community members, people bicycling everywhere, diverse blended families and of course, a plethora of aging hippies.  While it's almost unheard of not to have a car in Berkeley, it's still fairly easy to get around by public transportation or...by foot.   For the gainfully employed, commuting by car is  a given but the days start and end earlier.  There isn't a cab to be seen or a siren to be heard and 9pm is LATE for a Saturday night.  San Francisco is just a BART ride away for night owls.

Moving has reassured me of my priorities.  One of them is being closer to nature.  My friend picked me up on Tuesday to go for a run around a reservoir.  Granted, there's a nice reservoir in Central Park but this reservoir had me saying to myself, "What were you waiting for Crespo?"  Well now, I'm waiting for a job.  It's tough because I don't want to have taken these steps forward only to take a step back.  I took an executive education course at business school at Berkeley last week and the Professor shared some interesting career advice.  Want to hear it?

Look out for my next post.  For now check out the view of my back yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment